I’m thinking ahead about the deep-sky object that I will concentrate on for the short summer nights. I am really impressed with the image of the Veil nebula on Davide de Martin’s Skyfactory site where he has processed this superb image using Palomar POSS II data.
I think I’d really like to give this one a good try, however that field of view (FOV) of 4.2 x 4.4 degrees would mean a 2-frame mosaic with the Sky 90/M25C combination, and I’m not too happy about spending that much time on just one object, especially with short evenings.
However, Steve Cannistra has also imaged the Veil region with a set up that has a very similar field of view to mine and although it doesn’t get the whole of the region in the frame, it still makes a very impressive image.
Taking all things into account, I will try to get a very deep single-frame image of the veil region using the one-shot camera and the usual Hutech IDAS light pollution filter.
I know from the previous work I carried out on the Witch’s Broom region of the veil with the Sky 90/SXV-H9C combination that the one-shot is fine for this purpose.
The only thing that I don’t know is how good (or not) the one-shot will be at picking up the faint stuff between the Eastern and Western veil regions. I guess the only way to find out will be to image the thing this summer 🙂
I’m going to be posting more about the Veil Nebula project and you can follow my progress in the Veil Nebula Category or by clicking on the links below [which also happen to be from the Veil Nebula category]:
- A Halloween Witch's Broom, October 28th, 2023
- Veil Nebula - All the Data I Have, October 20th, 2023
- The Veil nebula in Cygnus, October 9th, 2023
- The Veil nebula in wide-field, December 17th, 2018
- The Veil nebula - reloaded, March 20th, 2008
- The Veil nebula in Cygnus - a supernova remnant, March 18th, 2008
- The whole of the Veil nebula in Cygnus, March 17th, 2008
- The Veil Nebula in Cygnus Imaging Project: Almost, but not quite..., September 8th, 2007
- The Veil Nebula in Cygnus Imaging Project: 90% Complete, August 31st, 2007
- Summer 2007 Imaging Project: The Veil Nebula in Cygnus, January 11th, 2007
The diagram from Cartes du Ciel will give you an indication of where the Veil Nebula is in the night sky: